Ways to Hurricane-Proof Your Garage Door
In the United States, when hurricanes strike, they cause massive wind and flood damage costing about $54 billion a year. So it would help if you had sound ways to strengthen your property and its garage.
Indeed, your garage has the largest opening in the home, so it is possible to be in danger when a 300-mile-wide hurricane hits. If you do not have a hurricane-proof garage door, everything inside is susceptible to destruction.
What are the Impacts of Tropical Storms and Hurricanes on Overhead Doors?
Note the following disastrous effects:
1. If your existing garage door lacks adequate reinforcement and the walls are unstable, strong winds and heavy rains could swiftly tear your garage.
2. The heavy wind that howls and blows through your garage could create air pressure inside. And the force of that air pressure could easily collapse your walls or knock the roof into the air.
3. Once the overhead door gets damaged and stormwaters enter the garage, flooding could ruin your drywall and other personal items. Moreover, if the water breaches your property’s foundation, it could jeopardize its structural integrity.
How to Prepare Your Garage Door Against a Hurricane
Below are a few practical tips you can follow to hurricane-proof your garage door:
1. Secure the Door by Attaching Braces
You should obtain door braces, generally long steel or aluminum bars that you can attach to add wind resistance and reinforce your overhead door. The braces help prevent high winds from destroying your garage door and are more affordable than getting a hurricane-rated door.
However, if you own a lightweight or older overhead door, it could still suffer from storm damage even if you install the braces.
2. Decide to Invest in a Wind-resistant Garage Door
Violent winds strongly affect the door’s parts and joints. And a heavy-duty and wind-resistant door could withstand those unwanted effects. So, choose a wind-resistant garage door with the right level of wind rating that perfectly meets your place’s weather circumstances.
Note: Normally, wind code regulations are part of the building code. Areas located in the High-Velocity Hurricane Zone must have buildings that can withstand wind speeds of 170 to 180 miles per hour. Homes and businesses should invest in highly-rated garage doors.
3. Consider Investing in an Impact-resistant Garage Door
An impact-resistant door can hold out against the force of usual flying debris along with violent winds.
Suppose your property is located in a coastal area where hurricanes tend to hit with their full strength. In that case, you will need an impact-resistant overhead door for sufficient storm protection. Consult a garage door professional to help you choose the right door that meets your safety and security requirements.
Things to Do to Prepare Your Garage Before an Aggressive Storm
Adequate preparation for your garage is necessary to withstand harsh winds and heavy rains. Consider following the given tips below:
1. The first step is to cover large openings. Close your overhead door. If your garage has windows, fasten some plywood securely to protect them. Ensure your door’s mounting areas and track system are in good shape to hold the door firmly closed.
2. Clear away any debris (like wood, trash can lids, toys, dog utensils, etc.) in and around your garage. They could become destructive during the hurricane and crash into your door. Ensure to move them to a protected site before the tempest hits.
3. Check if there are cracks in your garage. Sealing those cracks with caulk or weatherstripping helps prevent flooding and water damage.
4. Proper drainage is crucial for keeping your garage area free from water. Clear your gutters and think about installing a French drain to reduce the probability of standing water.
5. Do regular garage door maintenance for hurricane safety. Get an annual garage door service to ensure your door is ready enough for any weather-related circumstances.
Contact Inland Overhead Door Company for Garage Door Services
Aside from taking steps to hurricane-proof your garage door, it is highly recommended to seek consultation from a trusted garage door service provider.
Inland Overhead Door Company has a team of skilled professionals who have years of in-depth experience with overhead door installation and repair services. They can surely get the job done right.
We are ready to provide you with the needed services, even in emergencies. We are ready to provide you with the needed services, even in emergencies. Call us today for any door services or learn more.