Check Our Simple Tips on How to Clean Garage Doors
Most homeowners often give less attention when it comes to cleaning garage doors. The garage door is one important feature of your property and adds value to your building. However, it can face various outdoor elements combating harsh climate including dirt, winds, and debris. Knowing how to clean your garage door will prevent serious issues from happening and can protect your investment as well. With proper care and maintenance and the help of professionals, garage doors can last for more than 15 years.
If you want to boost the longevity of your garage door, try the following tips on how to clean garage doors.
Why Clean Your Garage Door?
Generally, property owners should at least wash their garage door twice a year, in spring and in the fall. In certain circumstances, doors located on buildings where the environment is harsh (e.g. a snowy place or a coastal area), may require cleaning quarterly. This is to prevent excessive exposure to salt which can quickly erode the finish of a garage door.
Check the following benefits of cleaning your garage door.
- Cleaning your garage door regularly can prevent rust from forming and extend the life of the door.
- It can improve curb appeal. Cleaning can remove dirt and grime that may affect your property’s exterior.
- Since the garage door is exposed to different elements such as rain, snow, wind, sun, and dirt, it can make the finish on your door eroded, damaged, or dull. Cleaning can prolong the door’s finish and maintain the integrity of its surface.
- When your garage door is clean, it will allow you to inspect and check the inside and out of the door. You’ll be able to see easily if there are minor issues and prevent them from becoming serious.
- Cleaning the garage door regularly can help you maintain its warranty.
Garage Door Material and Warranty
Before you begin, know what type of material your garage door has. Is it made of steel, fiberglass, vinyl, wood composite, or wood garage door? Check out the sticker on the garage door which is located on the top panel. You will see the model number and you may type it and search in Google to know the material of your door.
In addition, knowing the warranty info of the garage door is also necessary. Cleaning and maintaining garage doors regularly is a requirement for some warranties. You may void your warranty if the requirements are not being met. For instance, the warranty on your door may require garage door maintenance at least every three months, or twice a year.
Time to Wash Your Garage Door
It’s now time to start the process of washing your garage door. Doing it is quite easy and simple. Moreover, the items you need are just around the area. Take note of the following tips on how to clean garage doors.
#1: You need to get rid of excess dirt and grime on the garage door’s exterior. Before using soap and water, rinse it down first using a garden hose with a sprayer attachment.
#2: You may apply a mild detergent like your car wash soap or dishwasher soap. Use a detergent with a low phosphate (less than 0.5%). Just mix 1 cup of the detergent into a 2-gallon bucket of water.
Then gently wash down your door with a non-abrasive sponge or car washing mitt. This is to prevent damage to your garage door’s finish.
#3: To check that all parts are functioning well and to ensure the quality cleaning of your garage door from top to bottom, use a step ladder.
Consider the following in cleaning your garage door:
- You can scrub a bit hard or even use your hands to get rid of tough dirt or spots on your door.
- You can use the bleach-water mixture for tough stains after wiping off all the cleaning solutions.
- Make sure that you also scrub the weather stripping and trim around the door to prolong its life.
- Wash not only the exterior parts but the interior parts as well, especially the bottom parts.
#4: You can wax your garage door by applying car wax on your car, particularly steel doors. This is also an important part of the cleaning process. A layer of wax will protect your garage door from the daily wear and tear experiences and repel dirt and grime as well.
Additional Tips in Cleaning
- Avoid using a pressure washer in cleaning your garage door to prevent damage to the integrity of your door.
- Avoid mixing your cleaning solution with a bleach-water mixture. If you need to use a bleach solution, wipe off the cleaning solution first.
- Avoid using abrasive sponges or cloths and even solvents on your garage door. This can cause scratches or damage your door’s surface and corrode the finish. Better to use soft cloths and sponges.
- Include the other parts of your garage door in cleaning. Don’t overlook the weatherstripping and wipe down photo eye sensors of the garage door opener and garage door tracks as well.
Need Help With Garage Door Maintenance?
How to clean garage doors is a regular and necessary part of property maintenance. You won’t only have a smoother operation of opening and closing your doors, but will increase the lifespan of your garage door.
However, there is no perfect garage door. You may come across some issues or potential problems while cleaning, but worry not! Overhead Door Company of the Inland Empire offers repairs and servicing and has highly-skilled professionals who can help you deal with any garage door issues.
For more inquiries, contact our friendly team today! Ready to serve you for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.